Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Some kind of Zombie


Ache (Day 1) from Brandon Headrick on Vimeo.

Well after 64 hours of travel, we have arrived. My teammates described me as delusional and I will actually agree. By yesterday afternoon, I was a zombie, my feet were swollen (cankles), my sinus cavity had 0% moisture (felt like it would crack), and my whole body was beginning to itch from not taking a shower in three days. So… to say the least, I am happy to have arrived, toured the city, taken a shower, and slept 10 hours.

To recap our arrival…

We spent our first two hours in orientation and then proceeded to take a tour of the city. BA is a city that was destroyed (when I say destroyed I actually mean it…it’s not a hyperbole) by a tsunami at the end of 2004. Hundreds of thousands of people were killed or left homeless from the massive wave. Over the last fours years, hundreds of NGO’s have been able to help rebuild the city and help bring hope back to the people. However, the city is still recovering and still lives in fear.

After our orientation, we took a short tour of the city to see some of the remnants that still remain. Our first stop was a barge that still sits in the middle of town as a reminder of the tragedy. As we left the barge and walked along the shore, I couldn’t imagine a wave with such force, a wave that crushed buildings and swept barges upon the shore. It reminded me of how small or helpless I am. Sometimes, my ego seems to not realize how weak my mind and body are against such forces. A since of invincibility would only last but a glance at the sight of a wave that massive. And as I thought, I realized this is how enormous and breathtaking God is. So as I regain my oxygen supply, join me in prayer for BA that the kingdom will come here on Earth as it is in heaven.

No comments: